15 Jul Five Signs that You Need a New Roof
Many homeowners ignore their roof until they have a major problem. This is how many costly repairs start, and instead of doing annual roof checks, many people only repair their roofs when there is a major leak. There are many preventative measures to take to avoid these major roof problems. To save you time and money, be sure to have a licensed roofer to perform a regular roof inspection to fix and prevent roof leaks.
- Missing Shingles – If you see patches of missing shingles, these are signs of a roof not performing its job. If you can easily move shingles, then it is time to replace your roof.
- Light Shining through the Roof – If you are in your attic and see any light shining through, it means you have holes in your roof. This can cause water and other elements to get through and cause major leaks. If you walk on your roof and it feels spongy, it means your roof has a moisture buildup and is weak.
- Roof Age – If you roof is over 25 years old, it is time to get your roof replaced. A roof will usually last between 20 to 25 years, and then will significantly weaken. Also, if your roof was layered on top of other layers and is 20 years or older, then a new roof should be installed.
- You can see shingles curling – Your shingles can appear curled upward or the edges can be flat with the area in the middle peaking. When shingles curl, it can cause damage from weathering and leaks.
- Moss or Algae on Shingles – Moss and algae grow in moist areas, which can damage shingles and the roof’s structure overtime. Streaks on the roof can often be seen from the outside, which may indicate mold or algae. It can be removed, but it can easily grow back. A licensed roofing contractor will replace the shingles, to give you a damage-free surface.
Paying attention to the warning signs of your roof, and treating it like other areas of your home, will help prevent future damage. Many homeowners commonly forget about their roof and focus on repairing other parts of their home. The roof is very important because it supports the structure of your home. So contact Eagle Rivet today for a free evaluation to determine if you need a roof repair or replacement.